Friday, May 25, 2012

Wings over Refinance

So today may or may not have been the last day of my 9:45 - 6:30 schedule.  My work schedule isn't updated to show the later start time for next week, but Shawn (the manager who talked me into doing this cockamamie temporary shift,) swears it will be updated.  Currently the plan is to call into the automated system on Tuesday morning to find out whether or not I need to be to work at 8 or 9:45.  (Note to Future Decendants: This post was written before the creation of auto-updating schedule tattoos, so we had to rely on phones and day planners to tell us when to be places.)
Anyway, I got into work and was greeted by John, who with a cheesy smile told me that we would going to be working solely on Refinances for the entire day.
Huh.
A week or so ago, I would have met that declaration with utter glee.  And to be fair, it is still way, waaaaay better than having Customer Service on the agenda for the day.  But here's the thing: comparing Refinance and Customer Service is kind of like comparing a complicated piece by Bach to playing freestlye Jazz.  They're both complicated, just in different ways.  Bach is probably more difficult, but also more structured.  Freestyle Jazz is probably easier overall, but you're never entirely sure what's coming next.*
Here's something else: Customer Service is a sprint.  Refinance is a marathon.  A standard customer service call averages about 3 minutes, with 20-30 seconds of after-call work.  Refinance averages 30-35 minutes per call, with another 15-20 minutes of after call work.  Sure, it makes the day go by faster, but it's tiring.
The good side of Refinance is that the calls do come in much more slowly, and that 15-20 minutes of after call work does leave time for discussion while we sort escrow lines and order closing documents..  Today's topics were why I keep my hair so short,** why the University of Maine keeps the location of it's facilities office such a closely guarded secret,***  and where the best places are to get Wings in Tucson.****
The discussion on wings had me craving Garlic Parmesan, so we had wings for dinner.  We watched a show we'd never seen before on Netflix called Take Home Chef, where a celebrity chef approaches random people in a supermarket and offers to make them an amazing dinner in their own home while teaching them cooking principals.  I liked it.  The chef was classy and skilled without being pretentious, like so many TV chefs are.
I also played a little bit of Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock, which I downloaded in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep.  The game is entertaining but more than a little frustrating.  I think if I were not such a huge fan of the show that I wouldn't put up with it.  But I have to know what happens to the Doctor and Professor Song, so I guess I'll keep at it.
Oh, and I logged into Diablo 3 just long enough to see if anyone had paid me any imaginary money for the imaginary items I sell in my imaginary shop.  Sadly, imaginary business was slow today.
Tomorrow: Cleaning!  Weeding!  Shopping!  Hopefully more blogging!

See you then.



*Please note that I have never played Bach or Jazz, and don't really know what I'm talking about.
**It's because I look like a Brillow pad or Chia Pet when it gets too long.
***I don't know, but I hope it doesn't cause problems for one of my clients.
****Answer: Buffalo Wild Wings has the best flavor, but my business goes to Wingstop because they have a phone app where I can place an order and have it be ready when I walk in.  If Buffalo Wild Wings gets something like that in place, the only advantage Wingstop will have is it's epic soda dispenser.

No comments:

Post a Comment