It's fair to say that I was completely hyped for the Avengers movie. I'd seen all of the previous Marvel films, and Joss Whedon, who is the director of the film, is one of my favorite writers and directors on Television. What surprised me was when David, Whitney's brother, tagged me on Facebook asking if I wanted to go to a fifteen hour Avengers Movie Marathon.
Well. I did have a day off that I needed to use before the end of May. I had been saving it for Diablo 3, but maybe it would be fun to go to the movies instead. I hadn't been to the movies since our anniversary in January.
Dave, silver tounged beast that he is, talked me into it that night when I was over at his house working on his computer. I switched the day off I'd had planned and got tickets to the Avengers Movie Marathon. Whitney, at the last minute, decided that she wanted to go too. She was at the tail end of her Jaguar program, and her supervisor told her that as far as he was concerned, she'd earned a week off if she wanted it.
So, at the crack of 11:00 am, Whitney and I set off to the Park Place mall, by way of Albertsons so we could get a Sudoku book for Whitney to do if she got bored during the movies. (This wound up being a flawed plan - it was just bright enough in the theater for Whitney to read the book itself, but not bright enough for her to read her own pencil marks.)
Dave, as usual, took his sweet time arriving. Whit and I spent the hour before the show started admiring our Avengers Posters and pins that we recieved for being brave (or foolhardy) enough to spend an entire day in a movie theater with comic book nerds.
Speaking of comic book nerds, I'd often felt that my people were unfairly ostracized and mocked. After being in a theater with them for fifteen minutes, I'm not sure it's entirely unfair.
In front of us was a full family, including several small children. Between (and sometimes during) films, the parents would let the children wander around the theater. As this was mere days after Isabel Celis went missing, Whitney and I both shuddered at the idea of letting a small child wander around a theater full of strangers. Behind us was a group that was closer to my age, who apparently thought the new vogue was to replace every other word in a sentance with the F-Bomb. And to our left, a group of people that had once been Whitney's students and classmates. Whitney commented later that if she'd realized earlier that they were there, we would have changed seats.
Anyway, Dave had said he was bringing a friend, who we assumed would be another guy. Instead, Dave appeared moments before the movie began with a girl in tow. For that matter, a fairly pretty girl.
A girl? At a fifteen hour comic book movie marathon? With Dave? Our minds reeled.
She introduced herself as Jaime, and later privately told Whitney that this was her second time out with Dave.
A second date to a lengthy movie marathon filled with sweaty nerds? My brother in law had more cojones than I'd previously given him credit for.
The marathon began with a trailer for the Avengers, and carried on with Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. I could comment on the movies, but hey, if you want reviews, go to Rotten Tomatoes. I will say that Incredible Hulk was actually much better than I remember, especially the end.
Hulk had started a little later, though at the moment I can't remember why that was. But as the camera panned over the cabin where Doctor Bruce Banner had taken refuge, the sound from the film cut out, and a overly cheery tune began to play. The Cinemark first look music had somehow cut in over the movie. As the film cut to a scene where General Ross nursed a drink over his defeat, the door opened to revel Tony Stark. The billonaire playboy philanthopist was greeted with a tune that would not have been out of place on the set of Hee Haw. And as he approached the General, the music changed to a sweeping romantic tune that suggested the General and Iron Man were seconds away from kissing.
It. Was. Hilarious.
By the end of the evening, the day had taken it's toll. Thor was duller than I remembered, though it was probably because I had watched the Rifftrax earlier that day. And Captain America was nowhere near as good as I remembered. I spent most of Chris Evan's World War 2 Saga trying not to fall asleep.
But as the Avengers came together, as Hulk smashed and Iron Man quipped and Captain America was boyishly earnest, it was worth it. As Thor boasted and Hawkeye shot arrows and Black Widow was both gorgeous and capable, it was amazing.
Would I do another big movie marathon like that again? No, probably not. I certainly paid for it the next day. But I had an amazing day out with my family, and that was what mattered.
No comments:
Post a Comment