Friday, June 1, 2012

Memorial Day

May 28, 2012

3 of my 4 grandparents are veterans of WWII. Grandpa Bill was in the Air Force, Grandpa Kaplan in the army and Gram in the Marines. I spent some time today reflecting on how blessed I am to have come from such honorable people who were willing to sacrifice and fight for my freedom AND that they came home. I need not mourn them on Memorial Day but celebrate them on Veterans Day.

It's not a national summer holiday without a BBQ though. A last minute swimming party was arranged at Dave's so Rich went to his family's house without me. If I can get the pictures off his phone from him at some point I'll share those. For now you'll have to accept my pictures.




For the BBQ at mom and dad's we had chicken, hot dogs and the Best Hamburgers Ever. No seriously, that's their name according to the blog I got them off of. The recipe will be up soon on our recipe blog with the minor modifications we made to get the hamburgers to hold together better. I also brought over Portuguese Sweet Rolls I'd made the day before for buns for our dinner. Google swears these are the best hamburger rolls if you don't go with the white bread buns you buy at the store.

For dessert, I made Red, White and Blueberry mini cheesecakes from Skinnytaste. Sooo good! I wasn't sure if one batch was enough so we also brought the fixings for root beer floats. I didn't consider that some of my sisters have problems with dairy... whoops!! But I love you Nikki :)



All in all, a successful cooking weekend. Which is yet another perk of my split day schedule - I have to time to cook and bake like I enjoy. Rich is hoping my manager will let me keep this schedule more long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment