Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coach Whit

So first I have to apologize - it has come to my attention that I inadvertantly set this up so you could not make comments. That was not my intention and I have since fixed it. Feel free to comment (keep it clean Wally! LoL just kidding).

I signed up to coach AYSO soccer today. I'd been in email contact with the Regional Commissioner this week so he was expecting me. First there was the form that asked me for 3 types of references, promises for 15 years of servitude and my bank account number (ok maybe not ALL of that) and had me acknowledge that I might suffer all kinda of afflictions and/or die while coaching. (thank you mother for not telling me things as a child - I would been too petrified to play).  After filling out the form I was subjected to the interrogation. Spotlight on me; "So, you don't have any kids in the league?" "No." "Oh. Have you coached before?" "Not formally." He just stares at me. I'm waiting to be hauled off and left in a darkened room until my intentions could be verified but instead he just says "You mentioned you played soccer?". "Oh yes! I played AYSO for 9 years and then I played in high school. I'm really just looking for a way to give back to the community". Stance relaxes. He stops looking as anxious for the safety of the kids in the room. Yes I know, you had to beg to get parents to coach when I played. Clearly I must be deranged and need serious therapy if I'm offering.

I picked my age group (U6 and U8) and they're going to call me to let me know when the coaches meeting will be. I'm relatively certain he wasn't just trying to placate the crazy woman and they will call me.

As I was leaving I ran into my brother and his daughter who is signing up to play soccer! She later proudly told me "I'm going to school AND swimming AND SOCCER!!!".  AND she gets to be pink or purple. That's our little girly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment