Friday, September 3, 2010

The Human Whirlwind

So a few weeks ago I was thinking back to college when every semester I would take a full load of classes, be involved in at least two clubs and do research of some sort (and when Anna and I got bored heading over to the Institute). I was productive, organized and was effective at getting things done. I'm at a point where life isn't as filled to the brim so I decided to rekindle some hobbies, throw myself into my callings and start to volunteer.

This week has been a whirlwind of my new initiative. Work till 5:15, gym at lunch, water aerobics at night, coach's meetings and clinic, library, baking bread, Enrichment and the list goes on. As testament to my theory I managed to make dinner every night, get the laundry put away and the kitchen sink shining.

Tonight I braved the howling wind and intermittent splatters of rain to drive out to Gollob Park. I collected my coach's bag, assorted equipment and uniforms and hit the field. The coach admin for U6 worked the 3 coaches who came plus his kids through a 75 minute practice to give tips, teach techniques and let us ask questions. The last exercise was a scrimmage.

The trainer passed out pinnies to the kids and adults. One of the boys, who was about 7, starts whining "It's too big dad!"
"It's OK. You can play in it."
"But daaaaaad! It's adult sized."
"Really it's OK."
A pout crosses his face. I look down at the pinnie in my hand - it's looked the right size for a medium sized teddy bear. I just laughed and traded with the boy.

Out on the field, both with the drills and then scrimmage, I was clumsy at first. As the scrimmage got going suddenly I was moving faster, moving my body to block other players, trapping balls before another player could take off with it. Soccer has it's own grace and style of movement; I'd missed that thrill.

Another coach had asked me if we'd decided on a team name yet. I admitted that I hadn't met my team yet. She said "well of course you need some ideas prepared!" She had cute, adorable names that little girls would lap up. Me?

Our uniforms are pale blue jerseys with black shorts. After I got home, Rich and I started discussing team names. I suggested the Blue Butterflies. "Really?" "What?" I defended "We were always the Peach Panthers or something. Or the Bad Attitudes." Rich starts laughing "Did you wear chains?"

So then I had to describe the situation. It was my last year on AYSO before I started playing for my school; we were 14 and had all been playing together (or against each other for years). In the past my uniforms had been silver jerseys with maroon shorts; blue with yellow; peach with blue or some other coordinating duo.

That year? 
 Purple with
Green. 

Really? They must have hated us.

Could anyone blame us for the giant soccer bowl scowling our banner?

No comments:

Post a Comment