Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tales from the Anniversary

Not from the crypt... oh I crack myself up... **ahem**.

Well Rich and I are finally, sadly, back from our anniversary vacation. It's time to start regaling you with our wondrous trip.

It started off on Wednesday, our actual anniversary, with a trip to the temple. We'd had other plans for the day but at the last minute decided we wanted to head up north to Mesa. It comes as no surprise we ended up having a "temple day" as my friend Anna's mom calls them. We slept through the alarm, clothes carefully washed and hung up suddenly didn't fit and so forth. Out the door we went though.

I've never actually done an endowment session without my mom being there so I was especially nervous. I've always had problems listening - I'll hear everything said but get it out of order - so I was feeling apprehensive.

After an unventlful ride to the temple, we enter and head to the changing rooms. Every time we've gone Rich has ALWAYS been waiting either in the hall or in the chapel for me. So imagine my surprise as I enter the chapel and it's empty. In fact, the woman in there starts chivvying me along so I can catch the session. Rushing out the door into the hall a brother directs me to the room. I walk in and start taking stock. Rich isn't there. None of the men look like him. I stand there a minute more making absolutely sure none of those men are my husband. Turning around, I leave the room. A gentlemen outside the door says "Is something wrong?" "Oh no - it's just that my husband isn't in there." He sends me back the way I came. I run into the first brother "Is something wrong?" Same spiel. This one sends me back to the chapel. The woman in there inquires "Is something wrong?" If I hadn't been feeling so nervous I'd have been laughing.

I take a seat. What felt like an eternity later (about 6 minutes) Rich comes in. I'd spent the entire time wondering if maybe he'd been in that previous session and I'd missed him. I assured myself that he wouldn't go without me but it was still a relief when he walked in.

We had the better part of a half hour to wait. Even as the time came near the chapel was nearly empty. I noticed there weren't many couples in the room. Then a temple brother walks up to us and asked us to be the witness couple. We agreed but I think Rich could sense my anxiety because he said something to the man. He reassured us it was easy and had us move to the front pew. I sat there praying silently. It went something along the lines of "This isn't funny!!".

After the session we sat out by the reflection pool by the visitor's center and talked and laughed about it all. Being the witness couple was actually a blessing - it made it easier for me.

Then came the ride home. Rich commented a bit after we got onto the freeway we'd need to stop for gas on our way home. Probably an hour later we stop at this little hole in the wall gas station. You know it's bad when the gas station and post office share the same building. We get back onto the road but Rich made a wrong turn that took us off the freeway. We turned around got onto the ramp to get back on to I-10 and ended up another road that was not I-10. This one had no places to turn around and went on forever, mostly parallel to I-10 best as we could tell. I told him the car had better not break down because I was not going to be stuck in this itty bitty town that had no name because AAA would never find us and I was NOT living there. Rich took this as an opportunity to argue for iPhones. Honestly, we were out in the middle of nowhere, I'm pretty sure cell reception doesn't reach that far.

To get out of this forsaken village Rich took the method of "Let's follow them - they look like they know where they're going". LoL. Actually, we took turns that looked like they would get us to I-10. Several miles later we pulled onto a road that connected to I-10. It had a large sign, pointing back the way we came, that said "Sacaton". But really... we escaped small town living - this is all that matters!

Well that's it for now. We'll have more tales coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment